Email this page to a friend


Approved Schools for Student Visas
Where to apply for Student Visa Acceptance?

All applications submitted by schools and institutions wishing to accept nonimmigrant students, should be mailed to the "Attention of the USCIS Schools Officer" at the USCIS District Office having jurisdiction over the geographic area in which the institution is located.

Current USCIS regulations recognize the following as approved schools for purposes of obtaining a student visa:

  • A school operated as a public educational institution by federal, state, or local government; and
  • A school accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency.

If an institution of higher education does not fall into one of these two categories, it must submit evidence that its course credits are accepted by at least three accredited schools.


If a private elementary or public or private secondary school does not fall into one of these two categories, it must submit evidence that it satisfies the compulsory attendance requirements of the state in which it is located and that it qualifies graduates for acceptance by approved schools at a higher educational level, and in the case of a private elementary or secondary school, that it is accredited by an accrediting organization, certified by the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Non-Public Education.


Home | Blog | Work Visa | Citizenship | Family | Work Green Card | FAQ | Recent News | Visitor Visas | Student Visas | Asylum | Deportation

The information provided on this site is intended to teach individuals and corporations their rights and protect them from fraud. It is not a substitute for professional advice from an experienced immigration attorney and should not be taken as legal advice. Please consult a lawyer for advice regarding your specific situation.

Our FRAUD ALERT section contains important information to be aware of before seeking assistance.

Privacy Policy | Contact Us

©2007 Immigration Legal Counsel, LLC.