Email this page to a friend


Visitor Visa

Applicants for any type of non-immigrant (ie visitor visa)to the United States must show that they qualify under provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

The presumption in the law is that every visa applicant is an intending immigrant. Therefore, applicants for these visas must overcome this presumption by demonstrating the following:

  • The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for business, pleasure, or medical treatment;
  • That they plan to remain for a specific, limited period;
  • Evidence of funds to cover expenses in the United States;
  • Evidence of compelling social and economic ties abroad; and
  • That they have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties which will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit.

Whether you are seeking a travel visa for business or for pleasure, or for your newlywed spouse or fiance(e) , or to study (F Visa), for work such as the R visa (Religious worker visa), the TN visa (NAFTA worker), J visas (Cultural Exchange Visitor), Q visas (Disney Visa), or for special circumstances such as the U visa (visa for victims of crimes), VAWA visa (visa for victims of domestic abuse), or T visa (visa for victims of human trafficking) applicants must demonstrate that they are properly classifiable as visitors under U.S. law.

Our site also includes valuable information referring to the process and the requirements for the following visas:

  • 1. Australian (E-3) Specialty Occupation Visa
  • 2. Diplomats and Governmental Officials
  • 3. Media and Journalists(I Visa)
  • 4. International Organizations and NATO
  • 5. Chile Free Trade Agreement (FTA) Professional
  • 6. Border Crossing Card- Mexican Travelers
  • 7. Diversity Visa Lottery

We have even provided information on how Americans can obtain a Visitor visa to go to other countries. For example, see our page describing how you can apply for an India Visa.

Read our site to find a full list of US Immigrant and Non-Immigrant Visas.

Where Do I Apply for a Visitor Visa?

Applicants for these visas should generally apply at the American Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over their place of permanent residence. Although visitor visa applicants may apply at any U.S. consular office abroad, it may be more difficult to qualify for the visa outside the country of permanent residence.

What documentation is Required To Apply for My Visitor Visa?

Each applicant for a visitor visa must submit these forms and documentation to the US Embassy where his or her interview is scheduled, and submit fees as explained below:

  • An application, Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-156, completed and signed. The DS-156 must be the March 2006 date, electronic "e-form application." Select Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form DS-156 to access the electronic version of the DS-156.
  • Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-157 provides additional information about your travel plans. Submission of this completed form is required for all male applicants between 16-45 years of age. It is also required for all applicants from state sponsors of terrorism age 16 and over, irrespective of gender, without exception. Six countries are now designated as state sponsors of terrorism, including North Korea, Cuba, Syria, Sudan, Iran, and Libya. Select Special Processing Procedures to learn more. You should know that a consular officer may require any nonimmigrant visa applicant to complete this form. Here is Form, DS-157 .
  • A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States. If more than one person is included in the passport, each person desiring a visa must make an application: One (1) 2x2 photograph. See the required photo format explained in Nonimmigrant Photograph Requirements .

What are the Required Fees for application of a visitor visa?

  • Nonimmigrant visa application processing fee - Each applicant for a visitor visa must pay a nonrefundable US $100 nonimmigrant visa application processing fee.
  • Visa issuance fee – Additionally, if the visa is issued, there will be an additional visa issuance reciprocity fee, if applicable. Please consult the Visa Reciprocity Tables to find out if you must pay a visa issuance reciprocity fee and what the fee amount is.

If there is a fee for issuance for the visa, it is equal as nearly as possible to the fee charged to United States citizens by the applicant's country of nationality.

Additional Information About Your Visa Status

Also read through website to learn more about how you can extend your visa status or change your visa status to that of another visa, and even find out whether you are ineligible to obtain a visa .



Home | Blog | Work Visa | Citizenship | Family | Work Green Card | FAQ | Recent News | Visitor Visas | Student Visas | Asylum | Deportation

The information provided on this site is intended to teach individuals and corporations their rights and protect them from fraud. It is not a substitute for professional advice from an experienced immigration attorney and should not be taken as legal advice. Please consult a lawyer for advice regarding your specific situation.

Our FRAUD ALERT section contains important information to be aware of before seeking assistance.

Privacy Policy | Contact Us

©2007 Immigration Legal Counsel, LLC.